The significant activities/events relating to this Ministry for the month of May 2022 are outlined below:-
1. Campaign on initiatives & achievements of Government in 8 Years
This Ministry initiated a comprehensive publicity campaign on completion of 8 years of ‘Seva, Sushashan aur Gareeb Kalyan’.
- Bureau of Outreach and Communication (BOC) launched a multimedia campaign from 30.05.2022 on the theme ‘8 Saal Seva, Sushasan, Garib Kalyan’ wherein outdoor creatives have been shared with offices of GoI, PSUs, Railways, Airports, Post Offices covering approx. 2.8 lakh offices/ premises and also through social and digital media platforms. Pocket Booklets, Long Book & Dockets in Hindi/ English were printed and distributed across the country through Regional/ Field Outreach Bureaus (ROBs/ FOBs) and their E- book and Flip book were displayed through MyGov & Government websites. The May 2022 fortnightly editions of New India Samachar (NIS) with the cover stories “India’s strong steps towards self-reliance” and “Holistic development through over 700 initiatives in the last eight years” were printed in 13 languages & distributed across the country by BOC. E-versions of NIS were sent to over 70.7 million readers via emails using E-Sampark platform of MyGov India.
- DD News and DD India provided live coverage to the Key Highlights of 8 years of Seva, Sushasan and Gareeb Kalyan shared by Hon’ble PM on in and Namo App. A Special Series on 8 Years of NDA Government in Spotlight programme and special news capsules in main news bulletins have been broadcast from 30.05.2022 onwards by NSD:AIR.
2. The Ministry has developed the third edition of PM’s Mann Ki Baat booklet i.e. April, 2022 edition which has been distributed to more than 6 crore citizens all over the country through e-sampark platform and also been uploaded on the websites of Ministry of I&B, MyGov, PM India and the media units of Ministry. The booklet has also been shared by Hon’ble PM on Twitter on 22.05.2022. The booklet has also been distributed to all MPs and MLAs of the country and to all Secretaries in the Govt. of India and Chief Secretaries of States/ UTs.
3. India’s participation in Cannes Film Festival
India was chosen as the first official Country of Honour ever at Cannes Film Market (Marché du Film) organized alongside the 75th Edition of Cannes Film Festival held in France from 17th to 28th May, 2022. India is also the Country of Honour at the ‘Cannes Next’, under which 5 new Start Ups would be given an opportunity to pitch to the Audio-Visual Industry. Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished grand success to Cannes Film Festival through a written message on 16.05.2022.
- The Hon’ble Minister of Information & Broadcasting Anurag Thakur led the largest ever Indian delegation of eleven celebrities folk singer Mame Khan, acclaimed Director Shekhar Kapur, actress Pooja Hedge, actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui, actress Tamannah Bhatia, actor/director/producer R. Madhavan, leading singer & Music Composer A.R. Rahman, Chairman CBFC & renowned lyricist Prasoon Joshi, Producer & Member CBFC Vani Tripathi and two time Grammy award winner & musician Ricky Kej walking together on the Red Carpet at the inaugural event at Cannes Film Market on 17.05.2022.
- Two schemes to incentivize shooting of foreign films and foreign co- productions with India ‘Incentive Scheme for Audio-Visual Co- production’ and ‘Incentive Scheme Shooting of foreign films in India’ and the poster for 53rd International Film Festival of India (IFFI) were unveiled on the occasion of the inauguration of Indian Pavilion on 18.05.2022.
- On 19.05.2022, the Hon’ble Minister of I&B Shri Anurag Thakur addressed the India Forum at Palais des Festivals in Cannes and jointly released the trailer of ‘Mujib – The Making of Nation’ joint production movie between India and Bangladesh at Festival de Cannes with Hon’ble Minister of I&B of Bangladesh Hasan Mahmud, who led the Bangladesh delegation.
- The Hon’ble Minister of State for Information & Broadcasting Dr L. Murugan addressed the participants at ‘Cannes Next’ on 05.2022 and participated in a round table conference at India Pavilion on 23.05.2022.
- DD India reported live from Ground Zero and a special programme series ‘India at Cannes’ was telecast daily on DD India and DD News.
4. The 17th Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) for Documentary, Short Fiction and Animation Films was organized by Films Division, Ministry of I&B in a hybrid format from 29th May to 4th June, 2022 at Mumbai. Bangladesh was the ‘Country of Focus’ in commemoration of its 50 years of Independence.
- The Hon’ble President of India and the Hon’ble Vice President of India extended Greetings through written messages to MIFF 2022. The Hon’ble Prime Minister spoke about the first animation film co-produced by India and Japan in his Mann Ki Baat address on 29.05.2022 titled “Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama” which celebrated 30 years since its first launch by doing a special screening at MIFF 2022.
- Hon’ble Minister of Commerce & Industry Piyush Goyal inaugurated the seven-day festival, in the presence of Hon’ble Minister of State for I&B Dr L. Murugan & film celebrities. The Hon’ble Minister of I&B Anurag Singh Thakur addressed the participants through his video message. The coveted Dr V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award was conferred upon veteran documentary film maker and author Sanjit Narwekar.
- A special award for the best short film was instituted on theme ‘[email protected]’. Free entry for two animation films were given to children for the first time at MIFF. The festival witnessed a footfall of over 12000 and a total of 385 films were
5. Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav: 75 Years of Independence of India
A series of initiatives were undertaken to celebrate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) under the spirit of ‘Jan Bhagidari and Jan Andolan’.
- To commemorate the Satyajit Ray’s Birth Centenary, the National Museum of India Cinema (NMIC), Mumbai held a three-day film festival from 2nd to 4th May, 2022 at New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Pune and Bengaluru free of cost on big screens, wherein 5000+ people attended 15 film screenings. Similarly, 3 Satyajit Ray Film Festivals were also organized by NFDC Chennai and National Film Archives of India, Pune.
- As part of countdown to International Day of Yoga (IDY) 2022 coinciding with the 75th year of India’s Independence, the Media Units of the Ministry of I&B and their Regional/Branch/Field offices conducted Yoga workshop/ demonstrations and organized Competition/ Quiz/ Seminar etc. for the benefit of their officers/ officials on the allotted day of 13th May, A Yoga demonstration was organized for officers/ officials of Main Secretariat at National Media Centre, New Delhi. BOC and its ROBs/ FOBs organized 57 Integrated Communication & Outreach Programmes (ICOPs), 02 Exhibitions, 06 Webinars, 41 Yoga sessions and 29 field programmes.
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) in collaboration with Directorate of Film Festivals (DFF) organized a three days IIMC Film Festival’ 22 and National Short Film Making Competition as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav from 4th – 6th May, 2022, where veteran actress Padma Bhushan Sharmila Tagore attended along with various Actors, Producers, Directors, Screen Writer, Filmmaker, Cinematographer etc.
- BOC has been running infographic series on WhatsApp Groups across the During the month, 27 unsung heroes were remembered through this infographic series, bringing the total to 281 unsung heroes till now. ROBs/ FOBs of BOC organized 09 ICOPs, 02 Exhibitions and 18 field programmes on the theme during the month.
6. The Hon’ble Minister of Information & Broadcasting reviewed the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) and National Film Archives of India (NFAI) at Pune on 05.2022 and announced that the World’s largest film restoration project under National Film Heritage Mission (NFHM) with a budget of Rs. 363 Crores is awarded on 4thMay 2022 by the Ministry to restore approx. 2200 films. It was also announced that NFAI has undertaken restoration of 10 prestigious Satyajit Ray films which will be subsequently showcased at various International Film Festivals.
7. A National Seminar on ‘Indian Cinema and Soft Power’ organized by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (lCCR) in Mumbai from 3rd to 4th May, 2022 was inaugurated by renowned Film Director Shekhar Kapoor in the gracious presence of Hon’ble Governor of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari. Hon’ble Minister of Information & Broadcasting Anurag Singh Thakur addressed the valedictory session through video message on 04.05.2022. The Minister highlighted the potential of India to become content sub-continent of the world and discussed ways to take forward Indian films to global audience.
8. The Hon’ble Minister of Information & Broadcasting Anurag Singh Thakur addressed the 17th Asia Media Summit on 05.2022 via Video Conferencing. The Minister applauded India media for educating people on Covid-19 and stated that Media has immense ability to shape the right public perceptions and perspectives as an effective tool of empowerment. It was mentioned that Government fought fake news menace in real time with PIB Fact Check Unit and that free flow of information and need for correct information go hand in hand.
9. Action taken by the Ministry of I&B relating to Novel Coronavirus Pandemic (Covid-19) and Covid-19 Vaccination Drives Awareness
The Ministry of I&B has been at the forefront of awareness generation during the Covid-19 pandemic, stressing on ‘Jan Andolan’ Awareness.
- Doordarshan (DD), All India Radio (AIR) & New Media Wing (NMW) widely covered the following events:
- Hon’ble Prime Minister’s participation in Second Global Covid Virtual Summit and his remarks in its Opening Session on 05.2022; and
- Release of benefits under PM Cares for Children Scheme on 05.2022, including for children who lost their parents due to Corona.
- Public Broadcaster Prasar Bharati through DD News, News Services Division (NSD) of AIR and their Regional News Units (RNUs) have undertaken extensive campaign to create awareness of the Covid-19 Vaccination DD News telecast a special programme ‘Covid ke Khilaf Bharat Ki Majboot Jung’ and ‘Arogya Bharat’ & ‘Total Health’ programmes covered all aspects of Vaccination with panel of experts. Prime time news shows ‘News Night’, ‘Mid- Day Prime’ also discussed the Vaccination effort with live Ground Reports. NSD: AIR broadcast updates on Government of India’s Covid-19 management measures/ vaccination.
- The Regional/Field Outreach Bureaus (ROB/FOB) of BOC conducted awareness on the themes Covid Appropriate Behaviour, Vaccination, Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav through Social Media platforms, as under:
Total No. of Tweets and Retweets (with ‘Impressions’) Total No. of Facebook Posts Total No. of Instagram Posts Total No. of Posters/ Message /Videos circulated on WhatsApp 31678 (192298) 8393 5993 113378
10. Special programmes were telecast by DD News and DD India such as Yoga Utsav, Yoga Mahotsav in Dharamshala, Bharat Drone Mahotsav 2022, Jammu Kashmir Ka Parisiman 2022, Jan Suraksha Ke Saat Sal, DD News is telecasting a daily special section ‘Yoga Sutra’, promos of International Day of Yoga (IDY) celebration and a special countdown bug to show days remaining of IDY. A special series ‘Jammu Kashmir – Ek Nayee Subah’ was broadcast by NSD:AIR from 01.05.2022.
11. DD News and NSD:AIR provided live coverage and wide publicity to the Hon’ble President of India’s tour of Jamaica and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Hon’ble Vice President’s release of anthology on Hon’ble PM ‘[email protected]: Dreams Meet Delivery’ and his tour of Gabon, Senegal and Qatar; Hon’ble Prime Minister’s tour of Japan, participation in Quad Leaders’ Summit, launching of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework for Prosperity, tour of Berlin, Copenhagen and Paris, tour of Nepal, address at Sanatan Mandir Cultural Centre, Ontario, Canada; his address at Garib Kalyan Sammelan, interaction with the Indian contingent of Deaflympics, his visit to Hyderabad & Chennai, inauguration of Bharat Drone Mahotsav 2022, tour of Gujarat etc.
12. I&B Initiatives on Minimum Government Maximum Governance –
- Milestones achieved by Prasar Bharati on Digital Platforms: DD India recently crossed 2 lakh subscribers on YouTube and registered a total growth of almost 150% over last eight weeks, essentially becoming the 1 English News Channel with highest viewer reach in the country. All India Radio News network achieved the milestone of 3 Million Followers on Twitter handle @airnewsalerts. Prasar Bharati’s digital platforms across the country have together taken the current total YouTube subscription base to over 2 Crores.
- Digital Media:
- The Ministry issued directions vide letter dated 05.2022 to DB Corp Limited, which operates the website and social media handles of ‘Dainik Bhaskar’, for removal of news items containing the wrong depiction of Indian map from its website which is a violation covered under section 69A of IT Act. The concerned news item was removed by the publisher from its website with an apology.
- The Ministry reported the matter relating to non-compliance of the provisions of FDI Policy 2020 by M/s Veeoz Labs Pvt. Ltd. operating a digital news platform ‘Newsplus’, to Enforcement Directorate.
- Production of quality content by Prasar Bharati: TV series based on pet care ‘Best Friend Forever’ on DD National has won Exchange4media News Broadcasting Awards (ENBA) Award 2021 for the best in-depth Hindi series at the 14th edition of ENBA.
- Language adaptation of video content using Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning (AI/ ML) for regional dissemination: To achieve wider and more effective outreach using social media platforms, 5 videos were translated in 8
Indian languages viz. Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, Telugu, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati and Tamil, which have been viewed over 2 Million times.
- Channel Licensing: The Ministry of I&B has accepted surrender request of 05 TV channel during the The total number of private satellite TV channels for up-linking and downlinking in India as on 31.05.2022 is 897.
- Community Radio Stations (CRS): The Ministry has signed six (06) new Grant of Permission Agreements (GOPAs) & renewed nine (09) GOPAs and Grant- in-Aid has been released to two CRS during the
- Press Information Bureau (PIB) and its Regional offices have issued 7284 Press Releases in English, Hindi and other regional languages, organized 2 Press Conferences, 4 Vartalaap, 12 webinars and commissioned 17 articles on Yoga Utsav, Cannes Film Festival, Community Radio, Empowering Women through Policy, Good Governance etc.
- Press Council of India (PCI): 106 complaints (14 under Section 13 & 92 under Section 14) were processed during the
- Social Media Coverage: The social media handles of M/o I&B provided comprehensive coverage and publicity to various themes during the month across platforms by sharing over 216 graphics, videos, images, posts
Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, 8 Years of Seva and other flagship campaigns were highlighted through infographics, reels, audio and video content for campaigns, such as Cannes Film Festival, Gareeb Kalyan Sammelan, Drone Mahotsav, etc.
Covid-19 messaging through creative videos/infographics (nearly 271 tweets) focusing on Preventive Measures/ Guidelines, Toll-free numbers etc. have also been shared through the dedicated Twitter handle @COVIDNewsByMIB.