BARB, the UK’s television audience measurement currency, has released data from its Establishment Survey for Q1 2022. The Establishment Survey enables BARB to understand the characteristics of UK households, part of ensuring that its daily reporting of television audiences is representative of the whole population.
One of the most-discussed metrics that the Establishment Survey reports is the number of UK households with access to a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service. In Q1 2022, this figure reached 19.57 million UK homes (68.5% of households), an increase of almost 500k homes since Q4 2021.
Disney+ and Apple TV+ (the latter a new addition to BARB’s SVOD households tracker this quarter) showed the largest increases in the number of UK homes with access to their services:
- 6.53m homes had access to Disney+ in Q1 2022, a quarterly increase of 19% from 5.49 million in Q4 2021.
- 1.57m homes had access to Apple TV+ in Q1 2022, up 27% from 1.24m the previous quarter.
Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Now saw smaller quarterly gains:
- 17.29m homes had access to Netflix in Q1 2022, up 3% from 16.79m the previous quarter.
- 13.35m homes had access to Amazon Prime Video, a growth of 6% from 12.57m in Q4 2021.
- 2.13 million homes had Now, an increase of 4% from 2.06m the previous quarter.
The number of UK homes with two or more services now stands at 13.2 million homes (46.3% of households), up from 12.4 million homes in Q4 2021. BCS Bureau