Balaji’s momentum remains strong in Q1 FY 19 with a strong outlook for the rest of the year. It was ranked number 1 in TV content. Veere di Wedding (VDW), one of the top four Hindi movies, was launched in this quarter. There was a 7× growth in revenues for ALT.
- In the TV content business, Balaji Telefilms is the number 1 producer for prime time Hindi GEC. We had three new show launches in the quarter, across the major broadcasters: Naagin 3returned to the number 1 spot in weekend shows; Dil Hi to Hai launched on SONY has its intellectual property rights with Balaji Telefilms and will be telecast on ALTBalaji; Qayamat Ki Raaton Star Plus, brings back the horror genre to prime time weekend programs.
- Kundali Bhagya and Kumkum Bhagya continue to be the number 1 and number 2 shows on weekday prime time. TV business programming hours stood at 170 hours for the quarter at Rs 0.34 crore/hour realizations
- In the movie business, Veere De Wedding with an overall gross collection of Rs 143 crore won critical acclaim for its women-themed bold subject and is among the top four grossers this year
- In the OTT space, ALT stood tall with 75percent growth in subscribers and a 7× growth in Q1 versus the previous year
– 2.1 million paid users were added in Q1 FY19 versus 1.2 million added in FY18 (excluding Reliance Jio Platform users)
– It is the number 1 destination for original digital shows. There are 21 original shows (excluding kids and comedy short clips). Content is also dubbed in regional languages (Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam and soon in Arabic, Bahasa Indonesia, and Bahasa Malaysia)
– Digital revenues continue to scale exponentially – ALTBalaji Q1 FY19 stood at Rs 5.8 crore. Q1 FY19 revenue was 7× that of Q1 FY 18and digital revenue without impact of IND-AS 115 stood at Rs 7.1 crore
– Strengthened ALTBalaji partnerships and alliances – integration underway with Airtel DTH, Yupp TV, ShareIT, and Times Internet to name a few domestically and XL Axiata (Indonesia), Dialog (Sri Lanka), and Celcom (Malaysia) internationally
– Gandii Baat a show based on urban stories from rural India was launched during the quarter and has performed exceedingly well across platforms with over 800,000 average views per week. Three new shows were launched on TV, VDW was a hit, and there was a strong growth in Digital-BCS Bureau