Major UK broadcasters, Discovery And Sky sign up for climate content pledge
The bosses of all major UK broadcasters, Discovery UK and Sky have come together to sign a Climate Content Pledge at this week’s COP26, as they attempt to uproot their commissioning processes and teach audiences more about reaching net zero on greenhouse gases.
Twelve networks, which represent more than 70% of time UK audiences spend watching TV and film, have put their names to the pledge, as the CEOs of the major broadcasters appear in a panel session this morning at BBC Scotland.
The pledge reads:
- We will reach more of our audiences with content that helps everyone understand and navigate the path to net zero, and inspires them to make greener choices.
- We will develop processes that help us to consider climate themes when we are commissioning, developing and producing content.
- We will ensure that our efforts are informed by the science.
- We will recognise the importance of fair and balanced representations of visions for a sustainable future.
- We will work together:
- learning from and inspiring each other
- sharing relevant industry and audience insights and developing relevant metrics
- improving how we measure our impact.
- We will communicate regularly with our colleagues, partners, and audiences so that we can all play our part in meeting this shared challenge.
Signatories include BBC Director General Tim Davie; ITV CEO Carolyn McCall; Channel 4 CEO Alex Mahon; and Discovery EVP, General Manager, UK & Nordics, James Gibbons.
The group wants to highlight how TV and film have a unique role in helping audiences understand the solutions to tackle climate change and the choices to consider on the path to net zero, adding that it is the industry’s responsibility to rise to that challenge.
Most major broadcasters have unveiled climate action plans in recent months and the BBC is targeting net zero by 2030, for example.
BBC – Tim Davie – Director General
BBC Studios – Tom Fussell – CEO
Britbox International – Reemah Sakaan – CEO
Channel 4 – Alex Mahon – CEO
Channel 5/ViacomCBS UK – Maria Kyriacou – President
Discovery UK & Eire – James Gibbons – EVP Gen Mgr UK & Nordics
ITV PLC – Carolyn McCall – CEO
RTÉ (Ireland) – Dee Forbes – Director General
S4C – Owen Evans – Chief Executive
STV Group PLC- Simon Pitts – Chief Executive
SKY Group – Stephen van Rooyen
UKTV – Marcus Arthur – CEO
You must be logged in to post a comment Login