IMAX Corporation reports third quarter 2022 results
IMAX Corporation reported solid financial results for the third quarter of 2022 demonstrating the value of its unique global entertainment technology platform and content portfolio.
“IMAX demonstrated the strength of its differentiated model in the third quarter — leaning into its diversified global content portfolio to grow revenue, box office, and EBITDA despite a temporary slowdown in the Hollywood pipeline,” said Richard L. Gelfond, CEO of IMAX Corporation. “As we look toward the end of 2022 and beyond, we see significant potential tailwinds on the horizon, most notably the release of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” and “Avatar: The Way of Water”, the long-awaited sequel to the highest grossing IMAX film of all time.”
“We also took a significant step in the quarter to advance our long-term growth strategy with the acquisition of streaming technology company SSIMWAVE. In the short-term, SSIMWAVE is expected to generate incremental revenue for IMAX and be accretive in 2023, and in the long-term open a new world of possibility for our image enhancement capabilities — across not only streaming and theatrical, but gaming, VR and AR.”
- Revenue increased 21% to $68.8 million from $56.6 million in the year-ago period.
- IMAX China Net Income of $4.2 million or $3.0 million attributable to common shareholders.
- Net loss(2) was ($9.0) million, or ($0.16) per share, compared to ($8.4) million, or ($0.14) per share in Q3 2021. Q3 2022 included a $4.3 million, or $0.08 per share, valuation allowance against its deferred tax assets as well as $1.0 million, or $0.02 per share, in acquisition-related expenses.
- Adjusted Net loss(1,2) was ($3.0) million, or ($0.05) per share, improved from an Adjusted Net Loss(1,2) of ($5.0) million, or ($0.08) per share in Q3 2021.
- Adjusted EBITDA(1,3) of $16.5 million was up from $13.1 million in Q3 2021 and marked the 8th straight quarter of positive Adjusted EBITDA. On a trailing 12-month basis, Adjusted EBITDA(1,3) was $100.7 million as of September 30th.