Connect with us

DTH Update

Sun Direct Gains Satellite Capacity To Boost DTH Service

Sun Direct now uses 13 transponders. Nine of these are with Malaysian satellite operator Measat and four with Indian satellite GSAT; in total eight of these transponders were added last year.

[textbanner]

The DTH operator now offers around 300 standard definition channels (up from 256 channels) and 69 high definition channels.

Sun Direct is also working with Harmonic to upgrade its encoding system to HEVC from MPEG 4, to help the company broadcast a higher number of channels within its existing bandwidth.

During financial year (FY) 2018, the company reported a net profit of INR45.27 crore. Sun Direct’s total income grew by about 9 percent year-on-year from INR1215 crore in FY17 to INR1372 crore in FY18 driven by growth in activation income.

Its core business remains in South India, where its net subscriber base is around 98 percent.

Sun Direct is promoted by Kalanithi Maran who, along with his wife Kaveri Kalanithi, hold an 80 percent stake in Sun Direct. South Asia Entertainment Holding Ltd (SAEHL), a 100 percent subsidiary of Malaysian DTH operator Astro, holds the remaining 20 percent stake.— Rapid TV News

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Copyright © 2021.Broadcast and Cablesat

error: Content is protected !!